RE: X Window System error

> I just update debian6 to 7 and bad surprises:
>
> lazaro@utopian:~$ mtpaint
> The program 'mtpaint' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
>

> lazaro@utopian:~$ emelfm2
> (emelfm2:3422): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_store_iter_next: assertion `iter->user_data != NULL' failed
> The program 'emelfm2' received an X Window System error.
>
> lazaro@utopian:~$ geany
> The program 'geany' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
>

> I'm using:
>
> lazaro@utopian:~$ ps fax|grep Xf
> 13474 tty1 S< 3:02 /usr/X11/bin/Xfbdev -screen 1024x768x32 -t 1 -mouse /dev/psaux,5,4 ttys7
>
> An ancient X server due my OLDER computer. I can't use Xorg, so please, I
> shall be very glad resolving this problem.
>
> Geany and emelfm2 two are not from debian's repo and their ALL WAYS was
> working to me without problems. I guest the problem is with GTK+
>
> i libgtk1.2 - The GIMP Toolkit set of widgets for X
> i A libgtk1.2-common - Common files for the GTK+ library
> i A libgtk2.0-0 - GTK+ graphical user interface library
> i libgtk2.0-bin - programs for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
> i libgtk2.0-common - common files for the GTK+ graphical user interface libra
>
> lazaro@utopian:~$ gimp -v
> GIMP version 1.2.3
>
> work fine... the problem is not old or new applications...

Hi Lazaro,

Based on your inputs it may be that the GTK version dependencies may be causing this. GIMP works and GTK was built for GIMP, so that's not surprising. Based on some reading, it appears that GIMP 1.2.x was built around GTK 1.2
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/commit/?h=gimp-1-2&id=61cf583747fbb3b4306bf085b85b1f67e627778c

And you seem to have gtk 1.2 installed in part at least.

As the other programs were previously working, the "new" GTK errors might indicate a change in the libraries? If so, then knowing the versions of your other apps would help determine which GTK version they were based on. What do you think?

Kailash