Re: Kobo eReader and Linux Problems (WAS: Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Relelased)

Patrick Bartek wrote:
[about the Kobo Touch e-reader]
> Actually, I had read you don't have to create a Kobo account.  Just
> click out of it. But it will pester you to set one up every time you
> boot.

I created an account with a fake e-mail address (xx@xx.xx) which made
it work and then never looked at it again.

> Updates are automatic when you boot or sync.  I've found no why to
> stop it.  You can delay it until the next boot, but not stop it.

I switched off the device's WiFi and never used Kobo Desktop, so it is
not connected to the internet and never gets an automatic update.

> It only got recognized as a USB device when I reset it to the initial
> factory software, but the first upgrade stopped that.  There have been
> two upgrades since.  Nothing has changed.

You can't reset the device to the initial factory software and keep it
away from the internet? DRM-free books can be added via USB or microSD
card, and for adding DRM'ed books I have Adobe Digital Editions in
Windows in VirtualBox.
BTW, I know ADE could be installed with Wine, but I haven't found out
yet if and how Wine will work with USB.