Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Relelased

On Wed, 08 May 2013, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 07.05.2013 23:23, Patrick Bartek a écrit :
> > Unfortunately, the Thinkpad 240X we're discussing here can't
> > boot directly off a CD or even a USB thumb drive for that matter.
> > Natively, it can only boot off a floppy or internal hard drive.  (I
> > said this thing was ancient. ;-) )  And except for the hard drive,
> > all
> > other drives are externals.
>
> I understand that kind of problems. My old computer have a CD reader
> so it was not too hard... (I had some problems anyway, but I was able
> to quickly fix them)
>
> But you can install a system from an ISO quite easily if a system
> which support boot customizations is installed (like, by example,
> Debian).

You can now install Linux from within Windows.  I checked into it a
year or so ago.  And since the notebook is already partitioned for both
Debian and W2k, I could install any Linux I wanted on it without
the need of booting from a CD or thumb drive.

However, right now, I'm trying to fix a friend's Aspire One that was
badly infected, and after a "factory reset", which failed, is now in a
useless Windows 7 Starter boot loop.  I think the malware altered
files in the Recovery partition or the factory reset procedure has a
bug.  So, I don't have the time to play with MY toys right now.

> I did it some times, and I have noticed various issues depending on
> your boot loader and partition scheme.

Partitioning isn't the problem.  It's space.  The HD is only 12GB.  I
have 2.8GB for W2k, 256MB for swap, and about 8.5 left for Linux.
Three primary partitions.  The problem is the Windows partition where
I'd put the Debian ISO file only has about 500MB (maybe less) free.  So,
I guess, a net-install-sized ISO is my only option.

> [big snip]
>

> Of course, you can also buy new hardware, but it is not sure it will
> fit your needs (you said something does not work on linux and windows
> XP? I doubt it will work with windows 8 :D ) and, is not it less
> fun? ;) (I understand however that people do not think tinkering with
> their OS is fun, and you might be in such situation. Sometimes,
> people just wants/needs something which just works.)

I think you've got me mixed up with someone else here.  Oh!  You mean
my Kobo eReader.  Yeah.  It doesn't like Linux.  Doesn't show up at
all, either as a mass storage or anything else, when connected via
USB.  When first connected, the reader checks for Windows or OSX, and
if they're not there, the "connect" interface doesn't come up.  And
you can't manually mount it.  I've tried.  As far as the OS is
concerned, it's not there.

Guess I'll keep pestering Kobo until they "fix" it.