RE: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Relelased

> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:
> >> DRM ebooks will not work that way (unless you strip them of course),
> >> and the publishing industry has not yet followed the music industry on
> >> DRM
> >
> > Anyone who runs Wine can install Adobe Digital Editions, which will allow
> download of compatible files without the Kobo software.  Also, the Debian
> version of the Kobo software runs fine on 32-bit, I have it installed on my
> AMD64 machine via multiarch.  A recent .deb is available out there, it is
> available quite perfectly legitimately.  I should post a link, but I don't have it
> available ATM.  Googling about tangential topics will locate it, if a
> straightforward search fails to turn it up.  No stripping of DRM necessary, so
> US users need not feel uncomfortable about this, although it is possible to
> do so if truly desired.  I will refrain from instructing anyone on how to do
> *that*.
>

> Wow, I figured they where going to make a linux version, since it is
> in QT4, but I had never seen such a thing!
> http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82378&page=14
> http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82378&page=22
>
> I am not sure how I missed it, as it is quite old?!
>
> Thanks!

De nada!  I believe that the version I have dates from Jan. or Feb. of 2013, so check your version, since that thread on mobileread was started in 2011 (although the most recent posts are from April of this year.)

Note also that Kobo.com *does* sell many books that are not DRMed, so any reader that can handle .epubs can open those, and you can find a lot to read while staying loyal to Kobo.  I honestly don't understand exactly why they have not released an official version yet, but I suppose they are waiting for some magic moment when they deem Linux to be "ready" for prime time.  In the meantime, I will happily play with the unofficial & unsupported version on Debian and support them a little bit financially to keep them motivated and working on it.  I have discovered that I like .epub better than .azw, and I like to root for the underdog.  Amazon is the 800-lb. gorilla.