Re: Install from iso (no disc burn)

On Thu 09 May 2013 at 12:02:07 -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
>
> > All the Debian ISOs are isohybrids, so
> >
> >    cat debian.iso > /dev/sdX
> >
> > and you are on your way to a no fuss installation. A simple one line
> > easily remembered command. Couldn't be easier.

> I could be easier... especially if you explain a little more about
> what you mean above...

A little correction first: I should have said

   All the Debian i386 and amd64 ISOs . . . .

> Please post some details about how that works.

Why search the internet for what you want when it is all in the Guide?

   http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-isohybrid

cat does the same thing as cp. The ISO is copied bt by bit to a USB stick
and an ISO9660 filesystem is put on the device.