Re: Re: Install from iso (no disc burn)

On Wed 08 May 2013 at 19:59:02 +0200, Julian Rüger wrote:

> Hi Harry, Brian and others,

Hello Julian,

> > It is far less convenient than booting from an isohybrid and only works
> > with a netinst ISO if the user is prepared to jump through a number of
> > small diameter hoops and coerce d-i into co-operating.
>
> actually, it is way easier than you make it sound ;)
> Also, it works with any Debian .iso, just sayin'.

All the Debian ISOs are isohybrids, so

   cat debian.iso > /dev/sdX

and you are on your way to a no fuss installation. A simple one line
easily remembered command. Couldn't be easier.

> You only have to jump through one hoop, you have to skip the installer
> step "Detect and mount CD-ROM" and do that manually. After you worked
> around that, you can continue the installation the normal "by-the-book"
> way.

I'm rather fond of GRUB's loopback mode but the netinst ISOs or CD-1 are
not geared to being booted in this way to allow a normal install to
proceed without the user intervening. An inexperienced but willing user
trying it without detailed instructions would likely end up saying
'doesn't work'.

Technically you are correct; if you can manually mount the ISO held on
the device you can continue. But with hd-media the mounting is done for
you from within d-i as a matter of course, so why bother with the extra
steps of mounting or bindmounting. I do not consider loopback mode (the
subject of the mail I replied to) to offer any advantage over this
method or the one described above.