Re: The order of my SATA and PATA are switching all the time

T o n g wrote:
> I don't like using UUID, because, just as you said:
>
> "Warning: reformatting a partition normally changes the uuid, unless the
> existing uuid is explicitly specified as an option when formatting.  Thus,
> commands such as mkfs (and its derivatives) and mkswap will normally
> change the uuid, which in turn will change the udev-created symbolic link
> in /dev/disk/by-uuid, which in turn may necessitate changes to /etc/
> lilo.conf. "

If the system is reformatted then the uuid usually changes, true.  But
if the system is reformatted then you don't usually care because the
entire world has changed.

> Can I use something like root="ID=ata-IBM-DBCA-203240_HP0HPL43952"? I
> remember nothing worked well, so I reverted to the (now troublesome)
> "safe" /dev/sdXn.

The ugliness of UUIDs is one of the things that makes using LVM look
better.  LVM uses UUIDs but keeps them internal so the user doesn't
see them.

  $ cat /proc/cmdline
  root=/dev/mapper/vg0-root ro

And in case your question wasn't answered here is an example using
UUIDs for reference.

  $ cat /proc/cmdline
  root=UUID=aa136237-007c-94b1-a35e-080c409a800e ro

Bob