Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Released

Chris Bannister wrote:
> I just did that recently for an old sarge system. One gotcha I
> encountered was with the upgrade of vim, and no amount of googling
> solved it for me.
>
> What happened was that the syntax highlighting and plugin detection
> suddenly stopped working. Eventually I found that the cure was:
> "mv /etc/vim/vimrc.dpkg-dist /etc/vim/vimrc"

That isn't a specific problem for vim.  That is a general problem with
not finishing the upgrade.  You had a prior config file.  You selected
to keep it.  So it was kept.  If you had local changes and wanted to
keep them then it needed to be merged.  If you didn't want to keep
your local changes and wanted the package version then it should have
been 'Y' to install the package version.

After an upgrade one should always go looking for those files and
handling them.

  find /etc -name '*.dpkg-*'

  find /etc -name '*.ucf-*'

Either merge them, or remove them.  Leaving them as clutter and lint
makes it harder to tell what is happening later.

This above needs to be communicated more often.  Look for
configuration files and merge them or remove them.

Bob