Re: Debian 7 Wheezy Stable Released

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 09:23:44AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Du, 05 mai 13, 19:30:00, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> >
> > I never use the "Stable" name any more.  Learned my lesson a
> > few years ago when I upgraded an install of Etch--sources set to
> > "Stable"--not realizing that Lenny had just become the new "Stable".  I
> > ended up with a hybrid system, a mix of Etch and Lenny.  Amazingly, it
> > still worked. And still does. However, I never 'apt-get upgraded' again
> > for fear of trashing it.
>
> It should be possible to upgrade it completely to lenny and then squeeze
> and then wheezy. Reading the corresponding Release Notes is strongly
> recommended.

I just did that recently for an old sarge system. One gotcha I
encountered was with the upgrade of vim, and no amount of googling
solved it for me.

What happened was that the syntax highlighting and plugin detection
suddenly stopped working. Eventually I found that the cure was:
"mv /etc/vim/vimrc.dpkg-dist /etc/vim/vimrc"

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.packages.vim.devel/1685

I *just* found that link, looking for the proper "vimrc.dpkg-xxx" name!

oppressing." --- Malcolm X