Re: Calculating optimal disk partitions

craig@gtek.biz wrote:
> craig@gtek.biz said:
> I found a thread that mentioned the values should be multiples of
> 2048 for advanced format disks, which this ST31000524AS is, if I'm

The ST31000524AS is not advanced format.  It uses traditional 512 byte
sectors.  I have several of that particular model of drive.

> reading the product specs correctly. But both
> /sys/block/sdb/queue/physical_block_size and
> /sys/block/sdb/queue/logical_block_size report 512, which is why I
> asked about how to determine the actual sector size.

The actual sector size is 512.

  # hdparm -I /dev/sda
          Logical/Physical Sector size:           512 bytes

If it is advanced format then it would have reported it like this:

        Logical  Sector size:                   512 bytes
        Physical Sector size:                  4096 bytes

Example using the new partitioner in the new debian-installer.  This
would be good everywhere.

  # sfdisk -d /dev/sda
  # partition table of /dev/sda
  unit: sectors

  /dev/sda1 : start=     2048, size=   997376, Id=fd

Example using the old partitioner in the old debian-installer.  This
is fine for 512 byte sectors but not for 4k sector disks.

  # sfdisk -d /dev/sda
  # partition table of /dev/sda
  unit: sectors

  /dev/sda1 : start=       63, size=   995967, Id=fd

I am sorry but I do not have a good explanation of the rest of your
question.  I just responded about the part I knew.

Bob