Re: are "print server" and "ssh server" needed?

On Tue 07 May 2013 at 12:09:58 -0500, Default User wrote:

> I am getting ready to do a new install of Debian 7.0.0 (Wheezy) on a home
> pc with local printer attached, no local network, just internet connection
> to outside world, not used for office or business purposes.
>
> The installer asks what pre-selected software "task groups" are to be
> installed.  Pre-selected are:
>     - desktop environment
>     - standard utilities
>     - print server
>     - ssh server
>
> In this scenario, I am not sure why the print server and ssh server are
> pre-selected.

The tasksel maintainer presumably thought they it would be useful for
most people to have them. They are only defaults and easily deselected.

>                Are the really useful, or would they just take up space and
> add complexity?

You will need a print server. CUPS is normally the choice these days and
the tasksel task will provide it for you - plus a lot of other printing
packages which may or may not be of use to you. If you choose not to
have d-i install it you can always do

   apt-get install cups

after the installation.

I'd say you do not want the ssh server unless you plan on contacting
your machine from the internet. Optional for your situation.