Re: Debian full disk encryption

Concur with Bob. I have been using encrypted drives for many years now. The only differences for me are that I have a separate swap partition, but then you end up having to encrypt that separately, and cannot take advantage of putting swap inside of the LVM. My next encrypted build will remedy this. :)

Also, I have never built on an SSD...But the procedure is sound.

--b

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
John Thoe wrote:
> I am trying to set up full disk encryption for Debian. There are a
> lot of options available and I cannot choose which one to use..
>
> For starters, I am using a laptop for SSD so I read that using LUKS
> is not a good option since it disables TRIM.
>
> Anyways, I came across this video on Youtube:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9pn2PYbDdA that explains how to
> configure full disk encryption.
>
> Can anyone confirm if this is a good way of doing it? If not, can
> you point me to some good documentation for my case?? There are too
> many and I can't decide which one to pick.. I am running Wheezy.

That video describes exactly how I always set up encrypted laptops.
Except I use lower case names for the logical volume names.  Been
working for me for many years now.

I can't really comment about trim support.  Until recent kernels it
wasn't supported.  Prior to Wheezy there wasn't enough support to
enable it.  With Wheezy everything should be in Stable.  And Wheezy
has only released today.  Prior to this time my encrypted SSD machines
have been running Squeeze without trim support and have been working
quite well regardless.  Although I am sure that properly working trim
support would enhance it with faster performance.

Bob