Re: how to configure pulseaudio to use analog speaker on motherboard not hdmi on video card

On 31/12/13 14:53, Mitchell Laks wrote:
1. My situation, on bootup pulseaudio only recognizes the bad card
2. I have to kill it then I can select correct one, either by pacmd or gnome-control-center if I have a desire to run a gui.
3. Surely we have someone on the list who knows what we can do to configure the pulseaudio startup to select the correct devices?
Mitchell

IIUIC pulseaudio (PA) uses sinks provided by alsa. So, if after first starting X (and this then starting PA), PA can't see the second card, then I'd check firstly whether alsa provides these sinks at this moment:

$ aplay -L
$ aplay -l

Does the output to these two commands change after you killed & restarted PA ?

According to man pulseaudio and man pulse-client.conf, there are various conf files which can be used to set the default sink device definition: /etc/pulse/default.pa and /etc/pulse/pulse-client.conf, and their counterparts in the ~yourusername/.config/pulse/ directory. There are also hardcoded defaults, and all current config can be viewed by

$ pulseaudio --dump-conf
--
Klaus