Re: Installing Debian 7.3.0

On Sat, 2013-12-21 at 11:26 -0500, Jeff Bauer wrote:
> On 12/21/2013 09:10 AM, Rob Owens wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 10:29:40PM -0800, Alireza Bahrami wrote:
> >> According to Debian website it's enough for installing Debian on a system. There is an old Dell Latitude laptop with specs as below which I chose to for this purpose:
> >>
> >> Mobile Pentium4: 1.8GHz
> >> CPU Speed: 1.8GHz
> >> Level 2 Cache: 512KB
> >> System Memory: 256MB
> >> Video Memory: 32MB
> >> Hard Drive: 40GB
> >>
> > Since you've got only 256MB of system memory, I recommend you use a
> > lightweight desktop such as LXDE.
>
> A lightweight window manager that would be a smooth transition for those
> familiar with Windows 95/98 vintage OS's would be JWM, aka Joe's Window
> Manager.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/jwm
>
> A companion file manager could be ROX-filer:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/rox-filer
>
> And yes, Puppy Linux was one of my stepping stones to Debian   ;)

Puppy is great and I would also consider DamnSmallLinux on such vintage
hardware. Just don't know if this distro is actively maintained. But
they keep promises on low mem footprint. However, it's a 2.4 (a.k.a
stone age) linux kernel so it would all depend on the desired outcome.
If this machine will be just used for number crunching as some said, you
should certainly skim the fat. Look at the diferencies between debian
default and DSL or Puppy and you should get some picture on what you can
do yourself using debian with little or huge effort.

I can swear for openbox, it's beautiful, easy to configure and extremely
light on resources.

https://wiki.debian.org/Openbox

--
André N. Batista