Re: Installing Debian 7.3.0

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 10:29:40PM -0800, Alireza Bahrami wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm an Iranian electronic engineer focused on industrial automation projects. After some years of work experience I've come to the conclusion that I should learn linux for doing my projects in a more efficent way.  Unfortunately I don't know any thing about it and I'm completely new. The first step of course is installing it. Here I don't have access to any Debian OS distributor to buy the CDs from, so I downloaded debian-7.3.0-i386-CD-1.iso sized 648MB and copied it on a CD.  According to Debian website it's enough for installing Debian on a system. There is an old Dell Latitude laptop with specs as below which I chose to for this purpose:
>
> Mobile Pentium4: 1.8GHz
> CPU Speed: 1.8GHz
> Level 2 Cache: 512KB
> System Memory: 256MB
> Video Memory: 32MB
> Hard Drive: 40GB

Since you've got only 256MB of system memory, I recommend you use a
lightweight desktop such as LXDE.  When you boot off of the installation
CD, don't select "Install".  Instead, select "Advanced" and then
"Alternative Desktop Environments" (or something like that).  Then I
believe you select "Back" until you're at the main menu again.  Then
select "Install".

The desktop environment is what you see when you're using the computer.
Unlike Windows, Linux has many choices of desktop environment.  Some
have more features, but require more system resources.  Some, like LXDE,
are designed to be lightweight while still providing you with all the
basic functionality you would expect to have.

-Rob