Re: which image shall I use for P4/2.9G

On Tuesday 31 December 2013 11:53:38 Alex Moonshine wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 12:43:15 +0100
>
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > > That's very strange. [...]
> >
> > No, it's not strange, the issues might be related to some
> > hardware issue, e.g. a wrong graphics driver.
> >
> > The OP can use a search engine and learn how to provide more
> > info, so that the list is able to help.
>
> I just meant that I've installed a dozen or more i386 systems,
> including Squeeze, on my P4, and never got any messages that "I'm
> running 32-bit software on 64-bit computer". And anyway, P4 is
> a x86 processor initially, with x86_64 compatibility added later
> (or am I wrong?).

Yes, I have frequently installed 32 bit software, including kernel, on
a box with a 64 bit processor, without any problems or protests from
the installer.  Some people also seem, or seemed, to use a 32 bit
userland with a 64 bit kernel.

The other way round, of course does not work.  64 bit software will
not run with a 32 bit processor.

Lisi