Re: How do I solve pinning issues - Was: jwm

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-12-27 at 10:12 +0000, Tom H wrote:

>> (One of the steps of the release notes always is to disable pinning
>> when upgrading.)

> IIUC forcing a downgrade doesn't work?

I don't follow why you're asking this since a dist-upgrade will
upgrade packages or leave them as is if they're the latest version but
you can force a downgrade with 'apt-get -o
Dpkg::Options::"--force-downgrade" <package>' or 'apt-get -o
Dpkg::Options::"--force-downgrade" <package>=<version>'. I'm not 100%
sure of the syntax so you might want to try this first with "-s".

> How stable is "Debian unstable"? Perhaps making a backup, disabling
> pinning and dist-upgrading is the easiest solution, OTOH I would prefer
> to stay with as much from "stable" as possible.

I've seen at least a couple of -devel@ posts over the years where
someone's said that the majority of Debian users were running
testing/unstable (I assume that this is considering desktops and not
servers). So unstable is misnamed from a stability perspective, except
during big transitions like a new GNOME bump or when coming out of
freeze.

> FWIW, I used Synaptic not apt. So if there would be a possibility to
> downgrade, I then would use apt instead of Synaptic, assumed synaptic
> should cause issues.

I only ever run an upgrade after rebooting into a custom runlevel that
sits in between "single" and "text" in terms of running services so I
have no idea what synaptic can or cannot do, sorry. (I even used to
upgrade using "single" but I ran into a problem a few years ago that
made me choose to use a more "normal" running mode for upgrades.)