Re: How do I solve pinning issues - Was: jwm

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 10:12:55 +0000
> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> "apt-get dist-upgrade" will not upgrade stable to testing if the
>> pinning settings don't allow it, which AFAIR should be the case with
>> Ralph's settings if they are as he posted them in an earlier thread.
>
> You're right. I didn't take into account apt-pinning.

To Reco: Ralph's reposted his pinning (AFAIR, the components'
priorities have changed but not their order) and you can clearly see
that a dist-upgrade would fail.

To Ralph: If you'd rather not upgrade fully to testing or unstable (I
don't see why; you use Arch where you're basically running the
equivalent of unstable/experimental; I'm currently using Ubuntu 14.04
on my personal laptop; it has yet to reach its beta milestone but it's
OK; famous last words!) perhaps you could pin the packages that you
want to cherry-pick from testing or unstable rather than change the
install priority of all packages in the repositories. I've rarely used
pinning but when I have it's, for example, been to use the linux-image
and grub packages from the experimental repository on an unstable
system.