Re: carrying running laptop, was: Re: Acpi "Lid" Suspend with Eeepc 900 Not Working

Doug wrote:
> On 12/23/2013 06:36 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> >I know laptop hdds are used in some media players, but how do they
> >actually hold up in those?

I didn't say the above.  Which is really the only reason I commented
back so quickly.  Please be careful with the attributions.

> >I think those usually have shock sensors in them.  When they sense
> >force they park or otherwise safe the head.  Are there any of those
> >with spinning media still being produced?  I thought they have all
> >gone to solid state media now.
>
> A shock sensor would be of no use: at the time it sensed the
> shock, the damage would already be done, if it was going to be.

I agree that seems intuitive.  But apparently they are effective
enough in practice.  I don't know if they are a marketing success only
but I note that they have been successfully marketed for years.  I
have no personal experience with them.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_hard-drive_protection

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_Motion_Sensor

Bob