Re: carrying running laptop, was: Re: Acpi "Lid" Suspend with Eeepc 900 Not Working

Gregory Nowak wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > That is my normal method of sleeping my laptop.  I consider it a
> > feature.  It sleeps when I tell it to and not just because I closed
> > the lid.  Allows me to carry my laptop from here to there and open it
> > and not have it asleep and needing to reconnect and not having killed
> > my ssh logins.  (And without using screen, autossh or mosh.  Although
> > connections over the vpn will bridge.)
>
> This begs the question, though not directly related to debian. For
> those of us with electro-mechanical drives, is it safe to carry the
> laptop while the hard drive is running? In the old days, moving a
> running hd was a major no-no.

Rotating disk drives in a laptop?  How quaint!  :-) (Still using them
in servers though.  Big SSDs are very expensive.)

Since I have an SSD in my laptop I don't have to consider the
question.  SSDs are safe from careful handling.  I have yet to
personally have a laptop spinning disk crash.  (Plenty of server side
disk crashes.)  I have always carefully carried my laptop around with
it spinning.  But remember that single anecdotal evidence is not data.
(Even if enough plurality of anecdotal evidence does add up to data.)
I wouldn't recommend it as being safe.  But I think laptop drives do
have a higher level of shock resistance than other drives.  I still do
it.  But I am always careful to have backups if my disk were to crash.

> I know laptop hdds are used in some media players, but how do they
> actually hold up in those?

I think those usually have shock sensors in them.  When they sense
force they park or otherwise safe the head.  Are there any of those
with spinning media still being produced?  I thought they have all
gone to solid state media now.

Bob