Re: Deadline for jessie init system choice

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:
>>>
>>> The most notable source of problems are /etc/init.d/foo where foo
>>> doesn't have current LSB headers.  Those files cause problems when
>>> upgrading because the new 'insserv' program used in Wheezy to set up
>>> parallel booting can't work without the dependency information in the
>>> LSB headers.  Those files and packages should definitely be cleaned
>>> up.
>>
>> Didn't insserv become the default in Squeeze?
>
> Did it?  Things do blur together after a while. :-)
>
> I do have notes that say for the Squeeze upgrade to look for the
> /etc/init.d/.legacy-bootordering file and to 'dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc'
> and to correct any problems seen from it.  Still needs to be done if
> it isn't getting done at upgrade time.

They do blur...

Your notes are correct for dependency-boot upgrade failures.

I've just checked the squeeze release notes and:

http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#dependency-boot

so it was a squeeze change even though according to this page

https://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot

it was originally a lenny release goal.