VLC media player 2.1.2 Rincewind (revision 2.1.2-0-ga4c4876)

apropos to nothing but after reinserting these locations in my sources.list:

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main non-free
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org sid  main non-free
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org experimental main

and getting an upgrade to VLC

the first time to use VLC, I get no appearance of VLC but this:

charles@mundo:~$ vlc
VLC media player 2.1.2 Rincewind (revision 2.1.2-0-ga4c4876)

(no seg fault or anything reported except the version you see there)

I thought I might hold off on the bug report pending an inquiry here to see if
others have had a similar experience.

Do the VLC maintainers like the deb-mutimedia.org sources seem like I was reading
once where they didn't like them at all.

Is it prudent to remove the deb-multimedia.org sources from my sources.list and
downgrade VLC to a working condition?

--
CK