Re: udev rule for a kindle

On 12/12/13 01:01, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> I have a script for backing up my kindle when its first mounted, but
> its not running on mounting, but *does* run when invoked manually!
> When the kindle is mounted it should trigger this udev rule -
>
> # saved to /etc/udev/rules.d/85-kindle.rules ACTION=="add",\
> SYSFS{idVendor}=="1949", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0004",\
> RUN+="/home/boudiccas/bin/obkindle"
>
> but its not happening. The script 'obkindle' has it being executable
> from all users, so it should in theory be executable by the system
> when the kindle is mounted. According to 'lsusb' the kindle is
> recognised as -
>
> Bus 001 Device 018: ID 1949:0004 Lab126, Inc. Amazon Kindle
> 3/4/Paperwhite

To get the correct udev parameters for the device:-
udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n $mount) | less

where $mount is where it is mounted

> Can anyone show me where and why its not running on mounting please?

No. Sorry, but I can point you at where it's not working (bad tag). My
Kindle "just works". SOLID/udisk/KDE/Wheezy automagically mounts the
internal storage at /media/Kindle (and Calibre detects it).

You do know your Kindle *is* Linux and easy to root right? I back up the
Linux, but not the ELibrary (storage) as that's a (partial) backup of my
Calibre collection.

> Thanks Sharon.

Try (though I 'suspect" ACTION is unnecessary):-
ACTION=="add",SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1949",
ATTR{idProduct}=="0004", MODE="0666", RUN+="/home/boudiccas/bin/obkindle"

Look at:-
$ grep kindle /var/log/syslog
you'll probably find "unknown key 'SYSFS" and other useful hints
also "udevadm monitor --kernel" and "udevadm monitor --udev" will give
you some real-time info about udev.

Don't forget to "# udevadm control --reload-rules" when you add a new
udev rule.

Kind regards