Re: Reporting missing package during install

On Lu, 09 dec 13, 09:09:11, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:

> What are the benefits of The "Macintosh/Ubuntu" use of sudo? Improved
> security? Are you kidding? Whatever the user I compromise I have root
> access, just type "sudo bash".

sudo doesn't make this worse, just slightly easier. Compromising any
user account used for getting root is equivalent to getting root on the
system.

> Furthermore the  sudo habit of  keeping valid an authentication  for a
> certain amount  of time  seems like  an open  door for  malicious code
> injection.

1. this can be turned off
2. it's still better than having to require a password every time the
user runs 'sudo <command>', because the net effect would be that most
would disable the password completely or just leave a 'sudo -i' session
active for ever (and not lock their screen, etc.)

> And if  this not enough, sudo  may become disruptive on  machines with
> several users, unless  all of them have the  required skills (included
> the  one of  stopping and  asking advice!)  and common  administration
> policies are accepted by all.

Sorry, but I don't think it's fair to blame 'sudo' for the fact that the
system administrator granted sudo privileges to the wrong users. You
can't solve social problems by technical means.

Kind regards,
Andrei