Re: Reporting missing package during install

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> Troy Engel wrote:
> > Hi all - which package do you report against for a missing package during
> > install? debian-installer? user-setup? The jessie .iso 2013-12-07 netinst
> > using only groups "SSH Server" and "Standard Tools" failed to install sudo.
> > The sudo group is in /etc/group just no package -- I tested the latest
> > wheezy .iso netinst install and it was there as expected so I think it's a
> > jessie regression... (or was this on purpose?)

It is on purpose.  It is not a regression since previous versions also
behaved the same.

> $ apt-cache show sudo | grep Priority
>
> As far as I know sudo will get installed if you choose to not set up a
> root password, because then it will be needed for admin tasks.

Correct.

> > wheezy .iso netinst install and it was there as expected so I think it's a
> > jessie regression... (or was this on purpose?)

As Andrei says, this is intentional.  The Jessie installer is also the
same as Squeeze 6 and Wheezy 7.  Sudo is an optional component.  If
during the installation you do not set a root password then the
installer will install sudo and set up the non-root user for sudo.
This is explained in some detail in this message:

If you look back in the mailing list archives you will find a recent
discussion where there were some people who didn't like sudo.  I was
shocked by that because I always thought that most people liked it.
And certainly if you didn't like it then you are not forced to use it.
I think the people who disliked it just misunderstood it. :-)

I think previously if the installer installed sudo for you then during
the installation you chose not to set a root password.  Then sudo was
installed and your user was set up for sudo automatically.

If I had my wishes then I would have sudo set up by default for the
first user even if a root password was set.  But that would be a
change in behavior from previous installers and so might trip someone
up.  Changing long standing behavior is not something that ever makes
everyone happy and should only be done cautiously.

Bob