Re: Goodbye GNOME, Hello XFCE

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 11:57:55 +0200
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Vi, 06 dec 13, 08:20:56, Joe wrote:
> >
> > I had used the fallback mode, but I then wandered off and tried Xfce
> > and LXDE, and stayed with the latter. It's a pig to get the Debian
> > menu to display on LXDE, if you use that, and I don't know if Xfce
> > has the same trouble.
>
> I seem to recall you mentioning this previously, but without further
> information. I don't recall doing anything special except installing
> 'menu' and 'menu-xdg'.

OK, I don't know how you did that...

   ...but the LXDE/sid installation on which the Debian menu has never
worked now has it.

Menu and menu-xdg (which explicitly mentions freedesktop.org, and the
problem with the Debian menu is that it doesn't comply with that menu
standard) have been installed forever, to no avail.

I've done all sorts of occult tweaks to the LXDE and Openbox
configurations, and clearly I haven't looked for the Debian menu on
that installation for some time, because it certainly wasn't working
after the last time I tried to fix it.

Something has changed, but then it is sid. Synaptic now needs to be
invoked from the command line with gksudo, but I can soon fix that,
I've seen that one before and I know how to drive the main menu system.

Thanks for......whatever it was.

--
Joe