Re: Goodbye GNOME, Hello XFCE

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 17:01:37 -0500 (EST), Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> All GTK dependent DEs have their drawbacks. Xfce still is and will be my
> DE for a while, but I'm already testing Razor-Qt. It's not that good at
> the moment, but since LXDE is similar ok as Xfce is, it might be
> interesting to wait for LXDE-Qt. IIUC the Razor-Qt and LXDE folks work
> together on LXDE-Qt. Perhaps LXDE-Qt would be a better choice as a
> default DE for Debian and some other distros.

I haven't tried the other DEs that you mentioned.  From my research it
seemed that XFCE was pretty close to the "look and feel" of the old GNOME 2
interface, which is what I am used to, and what "fallback mode" users
of GNOME 3 are used to.  As such, it seemed like a pretty good default
DE for new installs to me.  But I do feel strongly about one thing:
the default DE should not be one which *requires* 3D acceleration support!
The default DE should be one which is usable by as wide a variety of
video hardware as possible.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :