Re: Goodbye GNOME, Hello XFCE

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 04:37:45PM -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Dec 2013, Stephen Powell wrote:
>
> > Well, the latest update to Debian jessie did it.  GNOME 3 apparently
> > no longer has a "fallback mode" for X drivers which don't support 3D
> > acceleration.  Mine doesn't.  And the native GNOME 3 interface is
> > apparently unusable with such an X driver.
> >
> > Goodbye, GNOME.  Hello, XFCE.  I hope Debian will make XFCE the
> > default desktop for the production jessie installer.
>
> You could do what I did with my install of Wheezy 64-bit (Replacing
> Fedora 12): Abandon the desktop "environment" entirely, and just use a
> full-featured window manager and a few utilities.  I found Openbox with
> LXPanel works just fine.  Lower overhead, too.  Just do a Base net
> install, and add one thing at a time.

+1

I use Fluxbox and am very happy with it.  As an alternative to LXPanel,
you could use fbpanel.  There are others as well.  But fluxbox has a
normal-ish panel/taskbar so I don't use an add-on panel (although the
add-on ones are prettier).  I use keyboard shortcuts to launch all my
applications.

If you end up choosing Fluxbox, I can post my config files for you.

With most window managers, you need to configure your startup
applications.  Things like pulseaudio and network-manager need to be
specified, because they are typically not started by default.  This was
the biggest difference I found when switching from a desktop
environment.

-Rob