Re: raid problem

On 2013-11-30 19:48 +0100, François Patte wrote:

> If I summarize the situation: the faulty disk (with badblocks)
> is sdd3, but it is the only active disk in the md1 array and I
> can fully access the data of this disk which is normally
> mounted at boot time, while the disk sdc3 has no badblocks and
> is declared as faulty by mdadm....!!

To me it sounds like mdadm is confused and thinks the old sdc3
is still here. When you add the new sdc3, mdadm views it as a
third device. Which is one more device than md1 was created
with, so the new sdc3 is marked as "spare".

I know the output of mdadm --detail /dev/md1 contradicts this
but it's my best shot.

> I don't understand something!
>
> Anyway. I can delete this array and create a new one from
> scratch (after replacing the faulty disk).

Yes, re-creating the array from scratch seems the next thing to
try.

Note that unless you first manually copy the contents of sdd3 on
sdc3, you better create md1 in two steps (first with with just
sdd3, then --add sdc3).

> Is it enough to run these commands:
>
> mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdc3
>
> mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdd3
>
> Or do I have also to modify the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file?

No idea, I don't use mdadm.conf.

You may get better help from linux-raid@vger.kernel.org

--
André Majorel <http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
Thanks to the Debian project for going to such lengths never to