Re: Share VPN connection

On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 09:51:04 +1100
Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:

> e) be clear on the difference between PTPP tunnelling link,
> unencrypted, which looks acts and quacks like a VPN-duck to the other
> machines on your local LAN, as compared to a true VPN, which also
> encrypts the tunnel.

PPTP uses a TCP channel (port 1723) to negotiate and control, and an
encrypted tunnel on IP protocol 47 (Generic Routing Encapsulation) to
carry data, and as far as I am aware, it always has done. There is a
range of encryption and authentication options, which can include
certificates. It has disadvantages compared to IPSec, but it isn't
dependent on endpoint IP addresses, so will pass through layers of NAT
without any faffing about.

--
Joe