Re: Totem in stable cannot play any type of video, need your help.

On 11/25/2013 09:45 AM, Bo Lan wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-11-25 at 00:10 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> Bo Lan wrote:
>>> This is my first mail here.
>>
>> Welcome!
>>
>>> I am debian stable user. My Totem cannot play any type of video,
>>> included free format such as webm, ogg, and mkv.  When I open any
>>> video, it says, "An error occurred: Could not determine type of
>>> stream." Need your help.
>>
>> I don't know about that particular error.  But you say it can't play
>> any stream.  I guess that a dependency is not there.  I would try:
>>
>>  * Try a different player.  Try vlc.  Try mplayer.
>>
>>     apt-get install vlc
>>     apt-get install mplayer
>>
>> Do you have recommends turned off?  If so then one of the recommends
>> for totem might actually be needed.  I am not sure what would be the
>> easiest way to suggest that you install the recommends associated with
>> totem.
>>
>>   Recommends: gstreamer1.0-libav, gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly, gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio, totem-plugins, grilo-plugins-0.2
>>
>> Not having a better way I would probably suggest this:
>>
>>   apt-get purge totem
>>   apt-get -o APT::Install-Recommends=1 install totem
>>
>> But if someone else suggested something better then that would be a
>> fine thing too.
>>
>> Bob
>
> Thank you for your answer and suggestion. My Totem finally works. Every
> dependency has been installed very well, including gstreamer.
>
> However, my computer's problem was that, some configure files had
> problem. So I deleted them by:
>
> rm -rf /home/MY-USER-NAME/.gstreamer*
>
> And then restarted totem so they can play stream now.
>
> This problem also influenced every gnome kit which needs gstreamer,
> included but not limited to cheese, totem, and even Nautilus(cannot see
> stream info).
>
> I am so happy can solve this problem, and also see your other solutions.
>
> Bo

I haven't been able to watch videos in anything but gwenview (odd, since
it's not billed as a video player) since last February. Then I followed
the instructions above, substituting "vlc" for "totem", and vlc is
working again!

Dragonplayer still dies after a couple of seconds of play, but as long
as vlc works I'm happy. Thank you!

Jay