Re: Totem in stable cannot play any type of video, need your help.

On Mon, 2013-11-25 at 00:10 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Bo Lan wrote:
> > This is my first mail here.
>
> Welcome!
>
> > I am debian stable user. My Totem cannot play any type of video,
> > included free format such as webm, ogg, and mkv.  When I open any
> > video, it says, "An error occurred: Could not determine type of
> > stream." Need your help.
>
> I don't know about that particular error.  But you say it can't play
> any stream.  I guess that a dependency is not there.  I would try:
>
>  * Try a different player.  Try vlc.  Try mplayer.
>
>     apt-get install vlc
>     apt-get install mplayer
>
> Do you have recommends turned off?  If so then one of the recommends
> for totem might actually be needed.  I am not sure what would be the
> easiest way to suggest that you install the recommends associated with
> totem.
>
>   Recommends: gstreamer1.0-libav, gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly, gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio, totem-plugins, grilo-plugins-0.2
>
> Not having a better way I would probably suggest this:
>
>   apt-get purge totem
>   apt-get -o APT::Install-Recommends=1 install totem
>
> But if someone else suggested something better then that would be a
> fine thing too.
>
> Bob

Thank you for your answer and suggestion. My Totem finally works. Every
dependency has been installed very well, including gstreamer.

However, my computer's problem was that, some configure files had
problem. So I deleted them by:

rm -rf /home/MY-USER-NAME/.gstreamer*

And then restarted totem so they can play stream now.

This problem also influenced every gnome kit which needs gstreamer,
included but not limited to cheese, totem, and even Nautilus(cannot see
stream info).

I am so happy can solve this problem, and also see your other solutions.

Bo