Re: Totem in stable cannot play any type of video, need your help.

Bo Lan wrote:
> This is my first mail here.

Welcome!

> I am debian stable user. My Totem cannot play any type of video,
> included free format such as webm, ogg, and mkv.  When I open any
> video, it says, "An error occurred: Could not determine type of
> stream." Need your help.

I don't know about that particular error.  But you say it can't play
any stream.  I guess that a dependency is not there.  I would try:

 * Try a different player.  Try vlc.  Try mplayer.

    apt-get install vlc
    apt-get install mplayer

Do you have recommends turned off?  If so then one of the recommends
for totem might actually be needed.  I am not sure what would be the
easiest way to suggest that you install the recommends associated with
totem.

  Recommends: gstreamer1.0-libav, gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly, gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio, totem-plugins, grilo-plugins-0.2

Not having a better way I would probably suggest this:

  apt-get purge totem
  apt-get -o APT::Install-Recommends=1 install totem

But if someone else suggested something better then that would be a
fine thing too.

Bob