Re: wordpress, again

On 28/11/13 15:12, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> The OP (in this thread) is asking about the Debian WordPress package.
>> It installs WordPress, WordPress keeps itself up-to-date - i.e. it's
>> version has nothing to do with the version number of the debian
>> installer. On 28/11/13 09:48, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
> Which is really the point here.

Yes. Though that xy thing is usually important also.

> 1. Maybe an apt-get install wordpress-<xxx> will get you a close to
> current version, complete with all dependencies (hasn't been my
> experience - but then again I haven't tried going that route in a LONG
> time - sounds like things have gotten better).

Currently the Wheezy package installs as 3.6.1 (from memory, my notes
are the wiki page) and on log in your are alerted to 2 upgrades which
take it to the current upstream stable.

> But, and a BIG but - and probably important to the OP:
>
> 2. apt-get update; apt-get upgrade is not going to be enough to keep
> your wordpress installation up-to-date - for that, you pretty much have
> to use WordPress' built in update mechanism - accessed through it's
> control panel - which takes into account how you've customized your
> installation (modules, themes).  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if
> apt-get update/upgrade generated some conflicts with WordPress' own
> update mechanisms - mix and match with extreme caution.

Yes - "apt-get whatever" won't affect the WordPress install, which means
that you are not dependent on the Debian packagers to keep WordPress
(and it's themes and extensions) up-to-date. Which is handy as the
packagers say it's really just done for their own use, and they'd like
some else to help/take over. If I could find the

The main points are:-
;WordPress and it's themes and extensions are kept up to date via it's
own mechanisms (so the installation is always as secure as possible, not
withstanding PEBCAK). The WordPress version you run is not locked to the
version packaged with the installer - the debian package is just an
installer *not* a repackaged version of WordPress a la
Icedove/Thunderbird or Iceweasel/Firefox.
;your WordPress installation is Debian compliant so it will work through
upgrades (and dist-upgrades) to Debian (the OS). Everything lives in the
usual Debian places. No special considerations required for backups.

> And, for what it's worth, when it comes to all but the most core servers
> (say mysql,apache, postfix), I've found that it always pays to build
> servers from upstream source (particularly mail related stuff - getting
> antispam, antivirus, SMTP, IMAP, and authentication all wired together
> is a mess; same again for list managers).  At least that's been my
> experience when it comes to running a server farm - your mileage may vary.
>
> Miles Fidelman

A bit of both. Where ever possible/feasible I use pure Debian as it's
easier to manage upgrades/replication/backups/documentation etc. It
tends to ensure the whole system works well together.
"pays" is the crucial point you make - if you can charge for the extra
headaches involved in co-ordinating all that upstream it's worth it (if
the client needs require it).

In general I avoid the cutting edge when it comes to web-facing servers,
but then most of those clients run financial trading applications so I
need to be very conservative, and the amount of testing they require for
their apps ensures the very latest libraries are rarely required.

Sometimes that's not possible e.g. Tryton, OpenERP[*1], Zope etc other
times something like Virtualmin means I have to compromise and use their
version of upstream. I don't do mail stuff so I can't comment and defer
to those who do have experience in those areas.

[*1] though I note the old OpenERP client from the Debian repository
happily works with the latest OpenERP which *doesn't* supply a separate
client for those that wish a separate the server.

Kind regards