Re: debian xfce network tethering a samsung galaxy s2

Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> writes:

> Setting up a laptop workstation for a friend, who uses internet via an
> sgs2 (samsung galaxy sII). Never have I tethered before.
>
> I've installed wheezy+xfce on a thinkpad r500.
>
> Been searching a bit, eg "network tethering site:debian.org" and others.
>
> apt-cache search tether gives
> entangle - Tethered Camera Control & Capture
> ipheth-utils - USB tethering driver support utilities for the iPhone
> (I'm on sid)
>
> Also apt-cache search'ed for samsung.
>
> Have not yet attached the phone (via usb), just doing some research,
> and seeking some feedback and/ or recommendations (eg "just install
> network-manager" or some such).

I have a Galaxy Note II, and when I connect it to my laptop and tick the
USB tethering checkbox, I get a new interface named 'usb0'. Then I ifup
usb0 and I'm done.

It should work with network-manager/wicd too, though I haven't tested
this.
--
Marius Gavrilescu