Re: debian xfce network tethering a samsung galaxy s2

Hello,

2013/11/26 Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net>
Setting up a laptop workstation for a friend, who uses internet via an
sgs2 (samsung galaxy sII). Never have I tethered before.

I've installed wheezy+xfce on a thinkpad r500.

Been searching a bit, eg "network tethering site:debian.org" and others.

apt-cache search tether gives
entangle - Tethered Camera Control & Capture
ipheth-utils - USB tethering driver support utilities for the iPhone
(I'm on sid)

Also apt-cache search'ed for samsung.

Have not yet attached the phone (via usb), just doing some research,
and seeking some feedback and/ or recommendations (eg "just install
network-manager" or some such).

for tethering you shouln't need a package at all: on phone side you should be able setup USB debugging mode (permanently) and enable tethering after the phone has been connected to the Linux machine.

BR,
Roland