Re: NAS hdd's in Debian desktop computer?

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> For MythTV storage, you either value the video data enough to
> have multiple copies, or you don't.
>
> (I assume you value the database enough to run the standard
> backup job daily, and store it on a disk that is not running
> your database.)

Although I would definitely not like to loose the recordings (which
would be about all that would be on this disk) I have never considered
hdd's inexpensive enough to back up that much data.  The database is
though, and much smaller of course.  There is a script that makes
backups that are on a different drive than the database.  It just
occurred to me that this backup is small enough that I could put a
copy in the cloud also, a little redundancy wouldn't hurt.

> If you keep multiple copies of the video data on different disks, then
> it will be safe against a disk failure. If you don't, it won't.

True enough.  Just to be clear, I was not asking about backup media
when I referred to hdd's described as a NAS drives, but for use as my
main storage.  I assume at this point you were talking about backup
because of my concern over hdd failure.  Since I do a lousy job of
backing up much of anything I will have to rethink my storage plans
all over again.  If I don't backup all the video's I would certainly
need much less space to do it.

> Either way, there's no reason not to use NAS rated disks.

Good.  That was the main question.  Do you know if Linux (Debian or
not) would do something different based on the "(...) Error Recovery
Control" message than it would do otherwise?

Thanks,
Jon