Re: NAS hdd's in Debian desktop computer?

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 08:13:56AM -0500, Jon N wrote:
> desktop system.  So far, about the only potential issue I can see is
> something called "(...) Error Recovery Control".
>
> If I have this correct, if a desktop drive is having problems reading
> something it just keeps trying for a long time (I haven't found any
> reference as to how long, but it's longer than a NAS drive).  This
> would cause a NAS to think the drive was broken and ignore it.  A NAS
> drive on the other hand will try for a shorter period of time and (if
> it still fails) report the problem to the NAS so the NAS OS can take
> steps in correcting it.
>
> Which leads to my questions.  If the NAS drive is installed in a
> desktop computer running Debian Linux what is the result of this?
> Will this command just be ignored?  Will the shorter time the drive
> spends trying to perform whatever operation it's having a problem with
> cause a problem if the OS does not have a way of dealing with this?
> How else will will this affect my system?
>
> In my online searches I have seen many results dealing with using
> desktop drives in NAS's, but nothing (so far) that addresses the issue
> the other way around.  So any light you can shed on this will be
> gratefully appreciated.

For MythTV storage, you either value the video data enough to
have multiple copies, or you don't.

(I assume you value the database enough to run the standard
backup job daily, and store it on a disk that is not running
your database.)

If you keep multiple copies of the video data on different disks, then
it will be safe against a disk failure. If you don't, it won't.

Either way, there's no reason not to use NAS rated disks.

-dsr-