Re: NAS hdd's in Debian desktop computer?

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 5:13 AM, Jon N <jdnandroid@gmail.com> wrote:
​<snip>​

> Which leads to my questions.  If the NAS drive is installed in a
> desktop computer running Debian Linux what is the result of this?
> Will this command just be ignored?  Will the shorter time the drive
> spends trying to perform whatever operation it's having a problem with
> cause a problem if the OS does not have a way of dealing with this?
> How else will will this affect my system?
>
> In my online searches I have seen many results dealing with using
> desktop drives in NAS's, but nothing (so far) that addresses the issue
> the other way around.  So any light you can shed on this will be
> gratefully appreciated.

​Both mdadm and a real HW RAID controller will kick
a drive​ out of the array if it takes too long to
respond. Mdadm is by default set higher than HW
RAID, though. Either way, it just means less chance
of a false positive drive failure.

​Cheers,
Kelly​