Re: Toshiba Satellite C50d/A00L laptop, can't install Debian - any version......

 On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:34:05 +1100 "Charlie ariestao@skymesh.com.au"
 sent this:

	>On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:03:57 -0600 Selim T. Erdogan sent:
>
>> Further googling might get you something better/easier.
>
>Thank you Selim, for taking the time to discover these links. It's much
>appreciated and they will come in useful, as I think I'll just install
>ubuntu, as ubuntu 10 works so the latest ubuntu system should work a
>treat.
>
>But first I'll try what you suggest, because I do like Debian.

Thank you Selim and for those who replied and helped, as always it's
much appreciated.

I now have wheezy installed as a base system on the Toshiba C50d laptop.
The Ethernet driver on wheezy allowed me to do that from a netinstall
CD.

Because I had so many netinstall CD's I kept putting in the Jessie
netinstall CD, that was the problem. The wheezy netinstall CD was still
in the computer that had downloaded it and burnt on.

However, until I take the laptop to a different location that has more
bandwidth I won't be able to complete the install. I can't even connect
to the Debian server during the day, because of the satellite latency,
or so my ISP tells me.

But it's possible to get this done between 1:00am and 5:00am on my
satellite connection. Being wildlife carers we are fortunately up all
hours and suitably sleep deprived that we have to think carefully what
we do before we do it. [laughing]

Anyway, again, thank you for those who suggested how it might work. It
has.

One other question, if I can annoy someone further? If I want to bring
this system up to Jessie can I just change the /etc/apt/sources.list to
that version?

That's what I have always done in the past and it worked flawlessly. I
assume it will be even more workable as the laptop has only a base
system installed?

No! Belay that. I think it will be best to have a working wheezy with
the packages I need and want before I make that shift. That's how I've
always done it. That way all that is in Jessie can be safely upgraded
and those packages that are not yet or not yet workable in Jessie will
not be touched.

Anyway, thanks again.

Be well,
Charlie

    --
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	"Let him be just and deal kindly with my people, for the dead
	are not powerless. Dead - I say? There is no death. Only a
	change of worlds". --------Attributed to Chief Seattle -
	Suquamish Crisis Chief