Re: top posting

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 11:08:41 +1100
David <bouncingcats@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 November 2013 10:31, Brad Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm just curious why so many people get so upset about top posting.
>
> When you're curious about anything, use a search engine, like I used
> to find this for you:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
>
> Especially if the thing you are curious about is a question that has
> been asked a billion times already.
>
> > scrolling to the bottom of each and every message is more of a pain
> > than if a respondent posts at the top of the message.
>
> Trim to give the minimum context, and interleave replies, like this.
> Like a conversation. No scrolling required.
>
> > And please forgive me for starting this.
>
> No. It is clearly off-topic for this list.

Mostly, but not completely, this is a technical newsgroup, unlike many
others. Questions can be asked and answered here, and indeed that is its
purpose.

Reasonable quoting and replying behaviour helps not just the person
asking the question, but others who may be looking for the same answer
years later. It is reasonable to assume that almost anything published
on the Net will survive forever.

--
Joe