top posting

I'm just curious why so many people get so upset about top posting. To my mind, as threads get longer, those keeping up with the thread would not want to scroll through messages that they have already read. I know that I don't. If they are commenting inline, that is fine, but I think that scrolling to the bottom of each and every message is more of a pain than if a respondent posts at the top of the message.

And please forgive me for starting this.

Thoughts?