Re: testing wants to install systemd

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 08:32:47PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 07:19:45PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> > I run a testing system that I depend on to get work done on a daily
> > basis.  I noticed today that a dist-upgrade wanted to install systemd.
> > I've never used systemd -- is there anything to fear?  For those who
> > have installed it, does the system handle the switch from the old init
> > scripts, or is there a lot of manual intervention and time required?
> >
> I've read most of the responses, but not all of them yet.  Thanks to
> those who offered suggestions.
>
> I don't use Gnome, but it probably was installed on this system at one
> point.  So I'll check and see if there is any Gnome stuff left to purge.

I removed gnome-packagekit, which in turn removed some of its
dependencies (using aptitude).  Now a dist-upgrade does not ask to
install systemd.

> I will read up on systemd some more, starting with the links posted in
> this thread.  I don't know much about it, admittedly, except that it's
> gotten some bad press (valid or not, I don't really know).  So I'm
> being cautious.

I read just about all of those threads, and I felt like my eyes were
going to fall out.  I didn't learn much, because the opinions on systemd
are so polar.  But I did at least learn some things that I want to
research for myself about systemd.  So I've created a VM to do just
that.

Thanks for everyone's input.

-Rob