Re: top posting

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:

> The usual objection to top posting is that it destroys the logical
> flow of the conversation (and no doubt someone will post a
> conversation in reverse order to illustrate the point).

​<snip​>

>> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Brad Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm just curious why so many people get
​​
so upset about top posting. To my
> > mind, as threads get longer, those keeping up with the thread would not want
> > to scroll through messages that they have already read. I know that I don't.
> > If they are commenting inline, that is fine, but I think that scrolling to
> > the bottom of each and every message is more of a pain than if a respondent
> > posts at the top of the message.
> >
> > And please forgive me for starting this.
> >
> > Thoughts?

​Excuse the other message, slip of the finger...

The thing is, when bottom posting, you are supposed to
trim out bits that don't matter to your response, and
often you have inline comments as well, as you said.

I prefer bottom posting, but I give up and top post
in corporate environments, as it is just too much
effort to fight the inevitable there. Likewise, there
is little point fighting against bottom posting on a
technical list such as this one, where most everyone
prefers bottom posting. Especially since most
everywhere else they get top posting pushed on them,
probably making them cling harder to bottom posting
where they can.

Cheers,
Kelly