Re: testing wants to install systemd

On 20/11/13 11:19, Rob Owens wrote:
> I run a testing system that I depend on to get work done on a daily
> basis.  I noticed today that a dist-upgrade wanted to install
> systemd. I've never used systemd -- is there anything to fear?

Not usually.
It might pay to --purge any "to be uninstalled" and "uninstalled"
packages - *especially* if the removed package still has an entry in
/etc/init.d *first*.

> For those who have installed it, does the system handle the switch
> from the old init scripts,

Yes. On a "stock" system.

> or is there a lot of manual intervention and time required?

No.

> -Rob

The usual provisos apply:-
;Your mileage may vary
;backup and backup
;if it breaks you get to keep both pieces

Kind regards