Re: LibreOffice Base replacement

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 08:37:28 -0200
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Nov 2013, Joe wrote:
> > The particular frustrations in LO are that selecting the report
> > wizard really does crash every open LO document, so I've given up
> > on that, and the manual editor refuses to switch to report view
> > once there are three or four text boxes on the page. The error
> > message is incomprehensible, unless you're extremely familiar with
> > the Sun OOo objects, and I'm not. I need to close and save the
> > report, then close and safe the Base document, then reopen it and
> > enter the password again. Then I can see if my latest edit worked.
> > There *has* to be a better way.
>
> Just to make sure, are you using LibreOffice 4.1.2/4.1.3 available
> through Debian backports/testing or the old LibreOffice 3.5.4 which
> is in Debian stable?
>
> Because if it is the old one, there's a chance some of the issues are
> fixed in the newer releases.

4.1.3 on sid. The bugs I've found are known, and I'm sure they are in
the queue to be fixed. The report wizard, in particular, has a problem
with the binary which didn't exist in older versions. I'm not really a
fan of wizards, but they do get the basic stuff onto the form quickly,
where they can be tweaked.

I'll stick with it, I've always thought Access was an excellent
non-programmer's RAD application, and Base is clearly intended to do
similar things. Just not yet.

--
Joe