Re: Automatic installs

On Ma, 19 nov 13, 17:28:27, Brad Alexander wrote:
> Sorry. Replied privately instead of to the list...

And I'll elaborate on my short reply as promised.

> Way back in the mists of time, around the time of the squeeze release, I
> asked here and it was recommended to use apt rather than aptitude...
>
> I'm guessing the best practice has changed...?

Each has its strengths and weaknesses and I use both:

- on my sid laptop I have an aptitude in interactive mode open all the
  time, to keep the system updated (almost daily), to look up package
  information, to check out new packages, to remove obsolete ones and
  other general maintenance of the system
- for a quick search by name or description I use 'apt-cache search',
  because it's faster
- for complex searches (and possibly actions on the set of packages a
  search would return) aptitude is better
- for maintenance of stable systems I prefer apt-get (update && upgrade
  && dist-upgrade) because it's fast and simple.
- for quickly installing a package I prefer apt-get (faster) except for
  my sid system where aptitude is already open
- etc.

Recently aptitude's dependency resolver also couldn't come up with
reasonable solutions for some transitions in sid, so I used apt-get
instead.

For a dist-upgrade you should use whatever is advised in the Release
Notes for that release, regardless of your usual preferences.

Kind regards,
Andrei