Re: message formatting [was Wheezy/XFCE/VNC}

Andre Majorel wrote:
> Or don't mailers show threads any more ?

Actually many popular (but incorrect) mail user agents do not show
threads.  Previously the biggest offender was Outlook.  These days the
biggest offender is Gmail.  I find it very surprising that a mail user
agent wouldn't handle theads.  I forgive mailx for not handling
threads but Gmail?  Especially these days.  Gmail should handle
message threads.

Gmail uses a "group by subject line" model.  It is definitely not the
same as a threaded conversation.  In Gmail if the subject line
changes, something that has always been a good practice when the topic
has drifted, then the message is displayed unattached to any previous
message.  Worse is that if an unrelated message has the same subject
then it is grouped together into the same "group by subject" even if
it has no relationship to the previous email.

Bob