Re: Wheezy/XFCE: remote desktop service difficulties with VNC server

On 17/11/2013 18:01, Reco wrote:

Your .Xauthority seems to be misconfigured (probably owned by root).
Please ensure that this file is owned by regular user and has 0600
permissions.

Thanks, done.

Your xstartup script tries to execute non-installed 'gnome-session'.
Try replacing 'gnome-session' with '/etc/X11/Xsession',

Huge steps forward following your suggestion. Working remote desktop achieved, but 'not' the same desktop as hosted on the attached screen. Differences are screen resolution, and application windows.

Had to use slightly different layout compared to your suggestion, maybe this /home/ward/.vnc/xstartup is still is not quite correct:

#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
#unset SESSION_MANAGER
#exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

> ## Those had been uncommented, but did not provide usable screen  ##

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
x-window-manager &

# added by user following a post on Debian Users list
/etc/X11/Xsession

X could not detect the attached screen because its cable is switched across a KVM which seems to destroy the EDID information; I'd already manually configured a Modeline for 1440x900. (This works fine on the attached screen even through the KVM.) The remote desktop appears to be 4x3 shape, and something closer to 800x600, I would guess. Though XFCE 'settings' does allow the display resolution to be checked/changed using the keyboard and attached screen, on the remote desktop XFCE - instead - does not and complains that RandR is version 1.1, not v1.2 . No such complaint on the physical desktop. Very odd; I wonder if this means that the Xsession being used for the remote is not the same as the Xsession being used for the physical user session? I'll look deeper into logs; it might also explain why applications that the user is running do not show up on the remote desktop.

I've left vnc4server installed. If I don't get anywhere with logs I'll try replacing it with tightvnc.

Reco, much obliged, that was a helpful post.

regards, Ron