Re: Hardware support for Thinkpad X230?

On 11/20/13, Richard Lawrence <richard.lawrence@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I am considering buying a Lenovo Thinkpad X230, and I am wondering if
> anyone on this list has advice to share about the hardware.

I usually use thinkwiki.org

> It looks like most, but not all, of the standard hardware is supported
> under Wheezy.  Specifically, the microphone and (some) hotkeys don't
> seem to work:
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Thinkpad/X230/wheezy

I have an X220 (previous gen). I've run wheezy successfully, currently
running sid.

I don't remember testing the mic, but found the line out/headphone
line to always have a little electronic hum in background, even whens
sound is muted. Was too lazy to try a warranty repair on it.

CTRL ALT SHIFT WINDOWS/LOG and APPLICATION/LOGO2
with F1 .. F12, A..Z, 0..9

is a few key combos you can use. Plenty for me. Also, it's a small
compact keyboard - which particular keys are you wanting to know
about? There is an "Fn" key, perhaps that? Anyway just try tpb if
something doesn't work.

> am particularly concerned about:
>   - wifi: any reason to prefer the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 or the
>     Centrino Advanced-N 6205?

I don't think so. Pretty sure I specced mine upwards.

> What about the "2x2" vs. "3x3" antenna?

3x3 antenna clashes with built in 3G modem (on X220 at least - not
sure about X230).

>   - SSD: any issues (besides the bug listed on the wiki) using an
>     after-market SSD?

Haven't tested yet. I bought when a decent sale/bundle-special was
happening. Try thinkwiki.org

>   - suspend/resume: Arch wiki reports suspend does not work in some
>     cases, but lists some workarounds; has anyone been unable to get
>     suspend/resume working?

Hibernate works fine for me. Occasionally have to cycle through
re-hibernate if an external screen is a bit flickery - but I haven't
updated kernel for a couple months either.

> I would also be curious to know what kind of real-world battery life
> people get from an X230 running Debian.

X220 is awesome with 9-cell battery. I then add the slice battery and
got a good 12 hours from memory (been a while since I ran both
batteries to their limit). Nowadays, I only ever need a few hours, and
even hanging off an external USB HDD I don't get through the 9-cell by
itself. My usage.

I suspect with newer gen CPUs it should be a bit better still.

Good luck
Zenaan